The City Tutors (CT) was founded in 2013 by students and faculty interested in directly tackling the low retention and graduation rates at schools and in preparing students for life after college, using volunteer tutoring as a vehicle to accomplish both goals.
● Leverage interest of high achieving students to serve their college and local community through volunteer tutoring
● Provide flexible time and diverse opportunities to draw a wider pool of tutors from across NYC
● Train volunteer tutors in accordance with College Reading and Learning Association standards to ensure commensurate quality with established academic support programs
● Retain and empower tutors by supporting their professional development through individualized support and internal internship opportunities
● Bridge gap between academic support and the academic core by providing tailored support to partners through study groups and embedded course tutoring
● Enhance existing academic resources and develop new ones for individual programs on and off CUNY campuses